Friday, August 20, 2010

Journey towards Education

I had to officially start school today.  (Insert sad face here)  I sat through 5 hours of meetings & a lunch. 

I REALLY like learning.  I am trying to instill that Love of Learning into my children at home.  That's why we homeschool.  I want them to LOVE learning & education, not hate it.  We encourage learning new things, we try to lead by example about learning, we try to not worry when they aren't up to State guidelines (and really, who cares about State Guidelines?  That's all they are...guidelines.)  I let them learn subjects when they're ready to learn them.  That's why Emily didn't learn to read until she was 10.  But she reads all the time now and she's a great little writer.  Best of all, she LOVES it. 

Really...who cares WHEN they learn it, as long as they learn it and are able to further their education in college?  If my child doesn't learn to do math until he is 16 or 17, does it really matter...as long as he learns it well & understands it. 

We all learn better when we are ready to learn a subject.  I'm currently in school to receive another teaching endorsement and I've made straight A's so far.  I've never made straight A's...EVER.  But I love what I'm learning, I love learning, & I'm ready for it.  That's when we learn the most and absorb it in to make it ours.

That's why I homeschool my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment