Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Different Kind of Journey

I know that life can change drastically in a moment, but I've never experienced it.  I've pondered it. I've tried to imagine it. But my experience is limited.

My friend was killed in a plane crash last night.  She was my husband's friend & my parent's friend & my mom's co-worker.  She lived in our neighborhood and attended church with my parents.  She sang in her church choir.  I performed with her in a musical about women 10 years ago.  She loved Young Women's Camp & I worked with her for several years in camp activities.  And now she's gone.

Her husband's life will never be the same.  Her children's life will never be the same.  Her son left on his mission expecting to see his mom when he came home.  He won't.

She was on her way to fulfill a life dream of hiking to the Base Camp on Mt. Everest.  She never made it to the trailhead.  The plane crashed in a remote area near Katmandu.  No one survived.  There is not much left.  I don't even know if there's anything to bury.

How do you deal with the loss of your spouse in such a way?  I don't know.  I know there is a lot of faith in Jesus Christ. I know that the Holy Ghost can comfort.  But the grief, the pain, the sadness is still there and still real and is necessary. The grieving process must be completed.

She left to accomplish one kind of journey and is now accomplishing a totally different one, as is her family.

Good luck on your new journey, Leuzi. You will be missed here.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12124884&hl=4

    Heather & Leuzi on one of their many trips.  Both were killed in the plane crash & both were co-workers with my mom.

1 comment:

  1. This has been hard, too close to home. She's not much older than we are. Why are we able to stay and raise our children? Does she have something "more important" to do than be with her husband and children?
    You know I've been through this before -
    Some day we will know the answers.
    "It's our covenants that make us able to endure life's trials." I wish I could remember who said this...it was a few General Conferences ago. We have to hang on to and be worthy of our covenants...
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete