Sunday, October 14, 2012

Missionary Talk

Ironically, I was asked to speak about missionary work the day after my parents left for their mission.  Here is my talk...
  -->
Missionary Talk,  October 14, 2012

The first missionary called to serve a mission was Samuel Smith, brother of Joseph Smith.  The church had just been organized in April, 1830 and Samuel was called to serve in June, 2 months later.  Though Samuel did not bring any new members into the Church during his mission, he did give away copies of the newly published Book of Mormon, which then led to the baptisms of Brigham Young & Heber C. Kimball.  While there were others participating in missionary work prior to Samuel Smith, his mission call was the first after the Church had been officially organized.  In June 1837, Heber C. Kimball was the first missionary called to serve outside of North America, serving in England.

The first single sister missionaries were Inez Knight & Jennie Brimhall, both from Utah County.  They were called in 1898 to serve in England.  During these early years of sister missionary service, age & length of service varied based on individual circumstance, but generally sisters were approximately 23yo when they served.  That became the official age for sisters in 1951.  In 1964, the age was changed to 21yo.  The change proved very useful to missionary work during the VietNam War when some wards were limited to only 1 elder per year.  During the early 1970’s, Mary Virginia Clark Fisher wrote “It is such a privilege to take part in this work.  Deep down I am a fighter & a warrior. I want to be in the midst of the battle for my God even though I am a woman & my primary concern is the home.  To be here on the front lines of the battle is a great gift to me.  Is there any reason why a sister missionary can’t be just as effective as a Heber C. Kimball or a Wilford Woodruff?  I may not have the Priesthood, but my call is just as real as theirs.”

In a historic move, President Monson declared on October 6, 2012, “Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21….{Young Women} are not under the same mandate to serve as are the young men. We assure the young sisters of the Church, however, that they make a valuable contribution as missionaries, and we welcome their service.”
I would go on to add that while their service is not under a priesthood mandate, sometimes their service is still necessary.
My mother would never have opened her home to 2 elders.  Being a stay-at-home mom with a husband at work and a10yo daughter & 3yo little son at home, she would have never dreamed of allowing 2 young men into her home on that summer day 34 years ago.  But because a member family had done their job to prepare her heart & mind (by inviting our family to watch General Conference or to attend Stake Emergency food storage classes and by inviting the 10yo to primary), when 2 sisters knocked on the door, she recognized the name of the Church & immediately let them in.  2 months later, my mom & I were baptized. 
It took 5 more years AND the right missionaries before my dad & brother were willing to commit to baptism.  Again, the ward played a role.  Diligent home teachers & visiting teachers came to our house monthly, though my dad always excused himself.  Priesthood brethren always invited him to play softball with them every spring, which he always accepted.  And the right missionaries came to visit at just the right time in his life. 
The Lord calls individuals to serve a mission, whether they are male or female, or couples.  He calls them with their strengths, talents, personality, & weaknesses.  He calls them because someone needs them & their unique gifts.  He calls them for the time their skills are needed.  The missionary that baptized my dad actually went on his mission when he was 20, instead of 19.  I’m sure his decision to wait probably caused some stress to his well-meaning parents, leaders, & friends, but you see, had he gone when he was 19, my dad wouldn’t have been ready.
My brother served a mission in the Philippines when he was 21.  He wasn’t ready when he was 19, but he was an outstanding missionary at 21.  The Lord calls missionaries when it is the right time for them to serve.  Just because the ages have been lowered to 18 & 19 does not mean that every 18yo young man & every 19yo young woman should serve at that age.  What matters most is that you desire to serve & are prepared to serve.

In 2006, Elder Scott stated, “Exciting fields of labor the world over allow the inspiration of the Lord to call young men and women and devoted couples to challenging assignments conditioned to each personal need and capacity….
I am constantly amazed at how the Holy Ghost matches the characteristics and needs of each missionary and couple to the widely varying circumstances of missionary service throughout the world. …I have seen how missionaries who return from unusual assignments…develop previously unknown personal capacities extremely well.”
(“Now is the Time to Serve a Mission”, April 2006, General Conference)

10 years ago, Elder M. Russell Ballard said “the bar that is the standard for missionary service is being raised….What we need now is the greatest generation of missionaries in the history of the Church.  We need worthy, qualified, spiritually energized missionaries who, like Helaman’s 2,000 stripling warriors, are “exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity” and who are “true at all times in whatsoever things they [are] entrusted.” (Alma 53:20) 

He added, “We don’t need spiritually weak & semi-committed [missionaries]. We don’t need you to just fill a position; we need your whole heart & soul.  We need vibrant, thinking, passionate missionaries who know how to listen to and respond to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit….We cannot send you on a mission to be reactivated, reformed, or to receive a testimony.  We just don’t have time for that.  We need you to be filled with “faith, hope, charity, & love, with an eye single to the glory of God.” (D&C 4:5)

As parents, we are not off the hook.  Elder Ballard said “if we are “raising the bar” … to serve as missionaries, that means we are also “raising the bar” for [parents].  Remember, Helaman’s 2,000 stripling warriors were faithful because “they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him” (Alma 53:21) and that instruction came in their homes.” 
(“The Greatest Generation of Missionaries”, October 2002, General Conference)

Portions of Preach My Gospel will prepare a young woman to understand and apply doctrine for her role as wife and mother.
Elder Scott shared a story about his own daughter….
“…Our daughter Mary Lee heard her parents speak of our treasured missionary experiences. We had explained how challenging missionary opportunities had enriched our lives and laid the foundation for all that we treasure in life. Yet we taught that it was her decision whether she would serve or not. Through her growing years, it was clear that she intended to be a missionary….Mary Lee served a most effective mission in Spain that unveiled hidden capacities, matured her spiritual development, and caused to flower capabilities that have blessed her as a wife and mother.”  (“Now is the Time to Serve a Mission”, April 2006, General Conference)
One of the things I cherish most about Elder Scott is that he always mentions his wife in his talks.  However, I did not know that she served a full-time mission.  He says, “All that I now hold dear in life began to mature in the mission field. Had I not been encouraged to be a missionary, I would not have the eternal companion or precious family I dearly love. I am confident that I would not have had the exceptional professional opportunities that stretched my every capacity. I am certain that I would not have received the sacred callings with opportunities to serve for which I will be eternally grateful. My life has been richly blessed beyond measure because I served a mission.

At the same time, my future eternal companion, Jeanene, was being molded to become an exceptional wife and mother by her own mission….Can you see why I suggest that some of you young women… seriously consider serving the Lord as a missionary? Our home has been greatly blessed by a wife and mother who chose to serve a full-time mission during my period of service.”
(“Now is the Time to Serve a Mission”, April 2006, General Conference)

I served a mission in the Washington DC South mission.  Serving a mission was not something I planned on doing, but it seemed the right thing to do at that particular time in my life.  Looking back, I see the blessings that have come from that service.  My understanding of the gospel increased dramatically.  I learned to get along with people. I learned to talk to people.  I learned to do hard things.  I learned that people love me & will help me whenever I need it.  I learned that you have to listen to the Spirit and do your best.  Ironically, serving a mission saved my relationship with Brian too.  I don’t think we would have gotten married, if I had not left to serve a mission.  I feel that I am a better mother & wife and a better church member because of my mission experiences.

After sending their 2 children on a mission, it is now my parents turn. Yesterday, we dropped them off at the MTC to take a shuttle to the airport to fly to Thailand to begin their own missionary service.  It was a time of sadness and a time of great joy.  And they will be missed, just as I know they missed my brother & I while we were serving our missions.

But it’s so nice to see everything come full circle … all because of a family who was brave enough to share & a sister missionary who was brave enough to knock.

I leave you with my witness of missionary work.  It has blessed my family beyond what I can express with words.  Whether you are male or female or a senior couple, if you feel the call to serve a mission, you will know. And you will bless someone else’s life & continue to build the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment