Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Red Crack

Our favorite hike of the day was "the red crack."   It's only about 145 feet long, but it's only about 12-18 inches wide.  We were looking forward to it all day, but seeing it up close & personal, created a different feeling.
Em headed in first and then panicked and had to back out.  So I headed in and after about 20 feet had to do the same.  We watched Bri and Jer complete it and decided we could do it too.  It turned out not to be as bad as we thought.  The tightest part was that first 20 feet and then it loosened up.  There was NO WAY you could turn around while you were hiking through. It was physically impossible to turn your body, however, there were some "rooms" as you kept going.  The fun part was being on top and looking down into the crack.  Bri and I hiked back through on the way down, but the kids wandered around the top back to the parking lot.

The Trailhead

Emily heading up the crack

Em just starting to panic

Right before I started to panic and made Jeremy go back so I could get out.

Brian heading up to brave the way

Jeremy following.  You can see Brian at the end of the crack.

Em and I trying again. She got mad because I stopped in the middle to take the picture and she didn't want to stop at all.

Standing over the crack, St. George behind us

Bri and I hiking back down.  Em zoomed up on us with the camera. We weren't this close to her.

We're still crawling through.  Even this is on zoom a little.

This gives you a good idea of the width of the canyon.

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I love to hike narrows....but I think I'll pass on that one! EEEK! I hope you're having a great trip!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You guys are brave. I'd like to try this someday. Maybe!

    ReplyDelete