Friday, November 19, 2010

A Journey to Joy

I don't feel good.  It started last night.  My head is heavy, my nose feels like it weighs a pound, my lips are dry & I can't taste anything.

I certainly can't sing.  Although I suppose I could sing the bass part of most songs quite well right now... but I'm an Alto.

I went to choir rehearsal anyway, so I could get counted for attendance + I had to drive my carpool.  I didn't want to get anyone else sick, so I didn't sit in the choir loft. I sat over to the side, away from everyone, and am not planning to be in the broadcast on Sunday.

Sometimes during rehearsal, you get pretty involved in what's going on...you watch the conductor, you record songs, you shuffle music...you don't really pay attention much to the people in the audience who are watching you.  Today I had the chance to pay attention a little better.

I noticed a young girl being led down the aisle to a seat in the balcony.  She had that familiar white cane in front of her telling everyone around her that she was blind.  She was led to a seat & put her cane down under her legs. 

Without her cane, there was nothing spectacular about her.  She looked asian or hispanic and she looked very young.  No one was sitting with her.

But, without fail, after every song the choir "taped & timed" (which means a recording is made for the director to listen to so he knows what to work on the next time we rehearse), she clapped and smiled so enthusiastically that I found myself smiling at her.  There were several songs where she promptly jumped to her feet and gave her own private standing ovation.

It was very touching to watch.  It brought tears to my eyes. And it got me thinking...

How many others out there in the world feel the same joy when they hear the choir sing?  What am I really a part of?  This isn't just a wonderful, amazing opportunity to sing with one of the most famous choirs in the world, or be led by an incredibly talented director.  This is an opportunity to touch people's lives... To bring joy to thousands of people, who listen over the radio, who watch on TV, who can't leave their homes, who live too far away to visit SLC, who may have no other connection with members of the church, who simply want to feel the spirit of God, who may have no other opportunity to worship...

And it brings me to a state of abundant humility & gratitude & awe....

And joy.  Just like hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment