Monday, January 21, 2013

Days 15 & 16

So yesterday, we didn't follow the plan exactly, but still stayed within the limits.
For breakfast, I had to leave early for choir, so I grabbed an orange...which tasted soo good.
I fixed a panini sandwich for lunch, but there was something about it that wasn't settling well in my stomach so I couldn't finish it.
For dinner, we had Thai food.... phad thai, green curry over brown rice, & som tum salad.  I even made the phad thai with tofu.  The only thing not completely vegan was the fish sauce we used in all three dishes.  Then we made dark chocolate brownies, with whole wheat flour, raw sugar, & unsweetened applesauce.  The dark chocolate chips did have some milk, but they were 60% cocoa.  The brownies were cake-like, which is what happens when you substitute applesauce for the oil, but they were yummy and hit that chocolate spot.

Today, I made Lemon Cornmeal pancakes with rice milk & soy yogurt in the recipe.  It was topped with real maple syrup & a berry sauce made from frozen blueberries, raspberries, & blackberries, water, & a little agave.  Everyone liked them.
Then we went to see "The Hobbit" and did not eat one piece of buttered popcorn!!  But we were hungry when we got home.  I had made Split Pea soup earlier in the day, so we had that and Thai left-overs for our late lunch.  I will admit that when we got out of the movie and could smell Five Guys burgers across the street, I wanted to run over there for dinner.  Split pea soup did not sound as satisfying as I knew a burger and fries would feel.  But hey, I can last 28 days.

I am not a fan of split pea soup, but this turned out well.  Emily even liked it.  Jeremy didn't, so he grabbed a sandwich made with hummus, tomatoes, fresh spinach, & alfalfa sprouts.  The boy could live on alfalfa sprouts alone.  He eats them by the handfuls. Weird.

Tonight will probably continue to be more leftovers, as will lunch tomorrow.


Here's some of our previous menus:
Day 1
Rip's Big Bowl---actually really good.  Lots of grains & fruit. Jeremy prefers it with freshly squeezed orange juice.  Everyone approved of this breakfast.
Stuffed Pita with hummus---we haven't perfected the homemade hummus yet and prefer the hummus from Costco, but it does contain a little more fat than the homemade variety
Spinach Salad & Gnocchi with homemade spaghetti sauce---we made our own sauce instead of using an organic store-bought sauce.  No one liked the gnocchi. Our sauce, as always, was fantastic.  We've been making it for years.  It's the only spaghetti sauce the kids like.

Day 2
Banana & Toast, Green Smoothie---we've found 2 recipes of green smoothies that Brian and I like. Jeremy doesn't care for them, and it depends on Emily's mood if she likes them that day or not.  We make a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie and a cherry chocolate almond smoothie.
Wrap sandwich--ok, the kids like the different sandwiches. I usually take leftovers to work, along with a salad.
Black Beans & Rice--really really good.

Day 3
Simple Cereal Bowl---basically a bowl of GrapeNuts with almond milk & fruit-yum!
Open-faced sandwich with hummus
Stir-Fry over brown rice---really good, the kids don't like mushrooms so we cook them on the side and add them to our stir fry.

Day 4
Strawberries & toast, Green Smoothie
Green Leaf wrap with left over stir fry
Chalupas & salsa--These were really yummy.  I can go food with a latin flair anytime!  I love beans and salsa and avocado.  I could get fat on beans. Just saying.

Day 5
Hot Lap Bowl---good for a cold winter morning, stick to your rib kind of breakfast; basically a bowl of oatmeal with fruit & vegan milk
Basics Taco---these went over well too. We've learned to like corn tortillas over flour tortillas.
Portobello Mushroom burger with sweet potato fries---the fries were good. The kids don't care for mushrooms so I had bought them a vegetarian garden burger, which they enjoyed.  I thought I could do the mushroom burger, but halfway through I realized that if I took one more bite, it would all come back up.  Never again.  I realized that I like my mushrooms like I like my tomatoes---a nice small part of a meal, but never as the main course.  I love tomatoes in any Latin food, but I cannot eat them like an apple or as a sliced tomato salad.  I love mushrooms as a small part of a whole, but not the whole thing itself.



1 comment:

  1. Yummy food! REAL food. Eating like that is so good for your body & soul. Your household is being blessed right now. And I laughed that you could get fat on beans! No way! Fat with air! : )

    ReplyDelete